© Parliament of Australia, 2012. For a Hansard transcript, go to: www.aph.gov.au
READ the FULL HANSARD TRANSCRIPTS from the Australian Parliament debate on Meniere’s Disease
Last night, history was made in the Parliament of Australia with the discussion of Meniere's Disease & the recognition of Meniere's Australia by six members of the House of Representatives.
The debate was motioned by The Hon Bruce Billson MP and included discussion by Ms Jill Hall MP, Mr Craig Kelly MP, Mr Shayne Neumann MP, Mr Michael McCormack MP, and Mr Stephen Jones MP. We thank them all for giving Meniere's disease a voice in the Parliament of Australia.
**FEDERATION CHAMBER – HANSARD DRAFT MINUTES**
8 MENIERE’S DISEASE
The order of the day having been read for the resumption of the debate on the motion of Mr Billson That this House notes:
(1) the work of Meniere s Australia in developing and improving services in Australia for people living with the distressing consequences of Meniere s disease and other unseen vestibular disorders;
(2) that vertigo, dizziness, balance problems, hearing loss and tinnitus are common symptoms of Meniere s disease which lead to sudden debilitating attacks, loss of employment, social isolation and loss of confidence and personal capabilities in everyday living activities;
(3) that the exact number of people affected by vestibular disorders is not known as the conditions are under-diagnosed and under-reported;
(4) that the research from the United States of America indicates that up to five per cent of the population may be living with one or more vestibular conditions which translates to one million Australians; and
(5) that with more support, Meniere s Australia Support Groups would be able to provide much needed counselling, practical advice, information and peer support to both individuals and their families and carers (see item No. 2, Votes and Proceedings), 7:58:11 PM
Mr Billson, 7:58:24 PM, Ms Hall, 8:08:32 PM, Mr C. Kelly, 8:18:44 PM, Mr Neumann, 8:23:49 PM, Mr McCormack, 8:29:15 PM, Mr S. P. Jones, 8:34:19 PM
READ the FULL HANSARD TRANSCRIPTS here